Food Rescue - Telephone 021 393 155 Monday to Friday 12pm to 5pm
- Contact us to discuss the food donation you’d like to make. We’ll give you:
- Information about the foods that KCA does and doesn’t rescue (refer to brochure attached)
- Official food donation advice from the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI)
- A Memorandum of Understanding which outlines KCA's and your responsibilities when donating food.
- Once you’re signed up as a food donor, we’ll arrange a pick-up schedule that suits you. Our volunteers will sort and check your food stock for quality before boxing it up on your site during their regular pick-up each day or week, or an adhoc pick-up when you have food to donate. *Note if the quantities are large sometimes our sponsors Foodstuffs North Island (Formerly know as AF Logistics) will collect the palletised stock in their branded trucks but we will always provide you with this information.
- Donated food is in most instances distributed back into the community within 10 minutes of it being rescued as many of our partner agencies meet us locally at each pick up point in our chiller truck. Any stock that is not collected is stored in line with food safety standards ready for our partner agencies to collect it the following day.
- Food that doesn’t meet our quality standards for passing on to community groups is left behind for you to dispose of or if it is later found in our boxes we will compost it.
- Food is handled and stored in line with food safety standards throughout the entire process.
What foods do we rescue?
- Fresh produce
- Fresh or frozen meat
- Dairy products, including milk can be frozen to preserve it
- Frozen foods
- Pre-packaged foods or meals in unopened, original packaging
- Catered food that has not been served
- Sandwiches and bakery products. We currently have no capacity for additional bread products.
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- Home baking as long as you provide a list of the ingredients used
What food don’t we rescue?
- Food that is no longer fit for human consumption due to decay or spoiling
- Food that is past its ‘Use By’ or ‘Expiry’ date
- Shellfish and other high risk seafood
- Food in damaged or open packaging which may compromise food safety
- Foods or beverages containing alcohol
- Drop-offs of smaller amounts of food are accepted at our various drop off points
- KCA does not accept any food past its ‘Use By’ or ‘Expiry’ date, or food that is no longer fit for human consumption.
- KCA is unable to guarantee availability for adhoc food pick-ups and reserves the right to decline any food donation.
How about Food Safety regulations?
There are no regulations stopping businesses from donating surplus food and it is safe to do so.
You can find out more on MPI’s website.