Learn more about food rescue. KCA is a member of Aotearoa Food Rescue Alliance.
- Contact us to discuss the food donation you’d like to make on 022 465 2201 Monday to Friday 7am to 3pm. We’ll give you:
- Information about the foods that KCA does and doesn’t rescue (click here to open food rescue brochure )
- Official food donation advice from the Ministry for Primary Industries (MPI)
- A Memorandum of Understanding which outlines KCA's and your responsibilities when donating food.
- Once you’re signed up as a food donor, we’ll arrange a pick-up schedule that suits you. Our volunteers will sort and check your food stock for quality before boxing it up on your site during their regular pick-up each day or week, or an adhoc pick-up when you have food to donate. *Note if the quantities are large sometimes our sponsors Foodstuffs North Island Transport Division will collect the palletised stock in their branded trucks but we will always provide you with this information.
- Donated food is in most instances distributed back into the community within 3 hours of it being rescued on a Monday to Friday between the hours of 8am and 12pm. Any stock that is not collected is stored in line with food safety standards in our large chiller room ready for our partner agencies to collect it the following day.
- Food that doesn’t meet our quality standards for passing on to community groups is left behind for you to dispose of. Sorry we can't accept food that is past its 'Use by Date'.
- Food is handled and stored in line with food safety standards throughout the entire process.
What foods do we rescue?
- Fresh produce
- Fresh or frozen meat
- Dairy products, including milk can be frozen to preserve it
- Frozen foods
- Pre-packaged foods or meals in unopened, original packaging
- Catered food that has not been served
- Sandwiches and bakery products. We currently have no capacity for additional bread products.
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- Home baking as long as you provide a list of the ingredients used
What food don’t we rescue?
- Food that is no longer fit for human consumption due to decay or spoiling
- Food that is past its ‘Use By’ or ‘Expiry’ date
- Shellfish and other high risk seafood
- Food in damaged or open packaging which may compromise food safety
- Foods or beverages containing alcohol
- KCA does not accept any food past its ‘Use By’ or ‘Expiry’ date, or food that is no longer fit for human consumption.
- We can't accept food that has already been open or used, left out to defrost,etc.
- KCA is unable to guarantee availability for adhoc food pick-ups and reserves the right to decline any food donation.
How about Food Safety regulations?
There are no regulations stopping businesses from donating surplus food and it is safe to do so.
You can find out more on MPI’s website.